Position: Team Leader
CARE works in 94 countries and is one of the world's leading international humanitarian agencies, working to help people achieve social and economic well-being, while being among the best in their fields. We put women and girls at the center of our work because we know that we cannot overcome poverty until all people have equal rights and opportunities.
We seek dynamic, innovative thinkers to further our mission. If you share our core beliefs that poverty is an injustice, poverty is solvable, and together, we have the power to end it, then join us. Currently, CARE Bangladesh is looking for potential candidates for the position of Team Leader under Local Economic Development Project.
If you are an experienced professional who is not only aligned with our values, but also wants to make a difference, develop and inspire others, drive innovative ideas and deliver results – then we are looking for you!
PLEASE NOTE that this position is subject to project award and funding. So, potential candidates will be contracted accordingly. Also, the post holder will be employed on a local contract. This position is open only for Bangladeshi nationals and foreign nationals those have work permit for Bangladesh.
The Local Economic Development Project aims to improve the income and wellbeing of small and medium entrepreneurs, their employees, and citizens through local inclusive economic growth, equitable employment creation and access to basic services.
The 18 months inception phase of LED will test the potential for LED in two selected districts in Bangladesh, but strives in the mid-term to deliver a ‘LED Model’ which can be up-scaled throughout the country. The project team will work at national level and the district level as initial facilitators of LED processes and capacity development.
In the beginning of the inception phase, the team needs to generate an understanding of what other actors are interested and willing to actively engage in to shape their locality, and obtain a better understanding of the involved functional economic areas and the affected local government institutions. Also, and importantly, very early in the inception phase, the team needs to confirm the suitability of the chosen localities and the suitability of the selected LED hosts. However, strengths and weaknesses of the involved actors might only become apparent when they start engaging (or not) in the LED process.
Position Title & Location
1 position, based at CARE Bangladesh Dhaka Office
I. Job Summary:
The Team Leader is primarily responsible for providing management and technical support for the Local Economic Development Project for effective and quality implementation.
II. Responsibilities and Tasks:
% of Time
- Overall project coordination through the implementation of the project to achieve the expected qualitative and quantitative outcomes and intended impact.
- Lead and facilitate liaison between different LED stakeholders at both local and national level.
- Design LED strategies in collaboration with local organizations, business associations, local government, pourasava and civil society organizations.
- Facilitate policy dialogue on LED strategies and approaches initiated by the project at national and local level.
- Coordination and reporting with donor organization and CARE Senior management team.
- Develop relevant planning documents (Proposal Document, budget, logframe, etc.) and oversee the administration and financial management of the project.
- Coordinate with Project Director and national anchor of LED.
- Create an enabling working environment that ensures gender and social inclusion and encourages open and honest communication based on mutual respect within the spirit of CARE's core values.
III. Reporting to:
Director – Extreme Rural Poverty Program
IV. Working Conditions:
Position will be based in Dhaka with frequent field visit.
V. Qualifications and Experience:
- Minimum 8 to 10 years of relevant work experience that includes at least 5 years in project management and leadership positions in the international context, preferably in Asia/Bangladesh.
- At least a Master’s degree in Business Administration, Economics, Public Administration or Social Science.
- Good understanding of Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation funded programs.
- Profound technical expertise and work experience in local and regional economic development, good governance, value chain development, market system development, business services, SME promotion, business and investment climate and related fields.
- Sound understanding of political, social and economic aspects of local economy and local governance contexts of Bangladesh and/or relevant contexts.
- Committed to achieving results in a short time frame and under time pressure.
- Sensitivity to political issues; knowledge of political and governance structures in Bangladesh would be an asset.
- Highly communicative and transparent; good writing skills.
- Fluency in English, working knowledge of Bangla would be an asset.
- Good understanding of MS Office applications.
VI. Core Competencies:
- Planning and organizing
- Operational decision making
- Developing Teams
- Coaching and counseling
- Managing Performance for Success
- Delegating authority and responsibility
- Building Partnerships
- Facilitating change
A more detailed Job Description will be provided at the time of joining.
Candidates need to be highly motivated and committed to CARE Bangladesh’s vision, mission, and long-term development work to significantly improve the lives of the most vulnerable and marginalized. Candidates must be capable of displaying great learning agility, support and encouragement of knowledge sharing across projects, to the ultimate benefit of all of CARE’s mission wide initiatives.
This is an interesting time in the development of CARE as an organization which is shifting towards a program approach where it has developed longer-term impact visions to have more sustainable changes in the lives of the extreme poor and marginalized.
CARE Bangladesh is looking for a Team Leader who will play a key role in the Local Economic Development Project whilst, at the same time, building a learning culture that promotes excellence and knowledge sharing across CARE Bangladesh.
An attractive remuneration package will be offered to the deserving person. In addition, CARE offers PF, Gratuity, Bonus, Leave encashment, Life Insurance, benefits for working mothers, Baby care facility etc.
Interested candidates meeting the above requirements should apply through CARE Bangladesh’s e-recruitment site: http://www.er-carebangladesh.org/care-recruitment/home on or before December 12, 2017.
- Women are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Any persuasion will disqualify the candidates.
- Internal and external applicants shall be treated equally in the entire selection process.